My parents and sister came into town on my birthday and Jesse's parents, my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Cary came into town Monday. We all went to dinner at Longhorn to celebrate my birthday and Colin's upcoming arrival before Jesse and I went to the hospital.
(5/28)When we got to the hospital at 6 PM, Leslee was already there waiting on us. (Leslee was my doula - check her out at www.boldbirth.com - I highly recommend her!) We got checked in and were escorted to the labor room. They showed us the room, started all the paperwork/medical history check and fetal monitoring. Then they started the IV (I was GBS positive so I required antibiotics during labor) and did a cervial check. No change from a week before (80% effaced, 1 cm dilated and station -3). Then first round of Cervidil was inserted and continuous fetal monitoring started for 2 hours.
We discussed a plan of action with Leslee and she left at 9 PM to spend the evening with her family and get some rest before my labor started. At 10 PM, I had a really hard contraction. Vitals and fetal monitoring continued through the night, but contractions did not.
(5/29) After breakfast the next morning, the Cervidil was removed and the cervical exam showed no changes. I had a visit by Dr. Dixon and Dr. Franz. At 9:15 AM, the second round of Cervidil was inserted and contractions started almost immediately (pre-labor type pains). Our families visited during the day.
The Cervidil was removed at 9:20 PM. Cervical check showed some change (80-90% effaced and 1-1.5 cm dilated). We discussed with the nurses, who confirmed with the doctor, about waiting until the morning to start the Pitocin induction. Contractions continued and we decided to get some sleep.
(5/30) At 4:30 AM, I was told Pitocin would start at 6 AM. I freaked out. I was not ready to further induce labor yet. We said we would wait to see what was going on in the morning the night before. After calling Leslee, she recommended eating breakfast and calming down before proceeding. So Jesse went to the cafeteria and I was able to eat. At 8 AM, Dr. Dixon came to check on me. His cervical check showed I was 90% effaced and 2 cm dilated and Colin's head was way down (he did not give us a station). Progress!
Pitocin was started at 8:45 AM. At 11:30, Dr. Price broke my water by the direction of Dr. Dixon. Her cervical exam showed I was 90% effaced and 3 cm dilated. The notes I took stopped at 1 PM showing the Pitocin was upped to 10, so I'm assuming after this is when my labor really started. I do know the Pitocin was stopped at some point.
(5/31) Early the next morning, Jesse, Leslee, the nurse and my family all told me I was tensing up and needed to relax for my labor to progress. We had discussion of pain management and decided to go with Nubain first. Also, I was told my contractions needed to be hitting this magic number so Pitocin needed to start again. The Nubain did not touch the pain. I knew if the contractions had to become even stronger I wouldn't be able to cope, so I decided to get an epidural. Pitocin was stopped. I was given an epidural. Pitocin and continuous monitoring were started and I was turned every 30 minutes. Pitocin was continually bumped up. During the next couple of hours, monitoring showed progression, but the cervical exam did not; although there was some bloody show.
At 6 AM, Dr. Price checked in. Her cervical check showed no progression. I had been at 7-8 cm dilated, 80-90% effaced and +2 station for over 12 hours. She suggested I get a C-section at 7:30 so Dr. Dixon could be there. I called Jesse and we decided it was time for a C-section although I wanted to talk to Dr. Dixon. Over the next hour, I messaged Leslee and my family and talked to Dr. Dixon.
I was prepped for surgery. Jesse and Leslee arrived. Dr. Brickler and Dr. Dixon performed a C-section and Colin was born at 9:48 AM on Thursday, May 31, 2012.
Thanks to the support of my amazing husband, terrific doula, wonderful family Colin arrived a healthy 10 pounds, 11 ounces and was 22 inches long.
We discussed a plan of action with Leslee and she left at 9 PM to spend the evening with her family and get some rest before my labor started. At 10 PM, I had a really hard contraction. Vitals and fetal monitoring continued through the night, but contractions did not.
(5/29) After breakfast the next morning, the Cervidil was removed and the cervical exam showed no changes. I had a visit by Dr. Dixon and Dr. Franz. At 9:15 AM, the second round of Cervidil was inserted and contractions started almost immediately (pre-labor type pains). Our families visited during the day.
The Cervidil was removed at 9:20 PM. Cervical check showed some change (80-90% effaced and 1-1.5 cm dilated). We discussed with the nurses, who confirmed with the doctor, about waiting until the morning to start the Pitocin induction. Contractions continued and we decided to get some sleep.
(5/30) At 4:30 AM, I was told Pitocin would start at 6 AM. I freaked out. I was not ready to further induce labor yet. We said we would wait to see what was going on in the morning the night before. After calling Leslee, she recommended eating breakfast and calming down before proceeding. So Jesse went to the cafeteria and I was able to eat. At 8 AM, Dr. Dixon came to check on me. His cervical check showed I was 90% effaced and 2 cm dilated and Colin's head was way down (he did not give us a station). Progress!
Pitocin was started at 8:45 AM. At 11:30, Dr. Price broke my water by the direction of Dr. Dixon. Her cervical exam showed I was 90% effaced and 3 cm dilated. The notes I took stopped at 1 PM showing the Pitocin was upped to 10, so I'm assuming after this is when my labor really started. I do know the Pitocin was stopped at some point.
(5/31) Early the next morning, Jesse, Leslee, the nurse and my family all told me I was tensing up and needed to relax for my labor to progress. We had discussion of pain management and decided to go with Nubain first. Also, I was told my contractions needed to be hitting this magic number so Pitocin needed to start again. The Nubain did not touch the pain. I knew if the contractions had to become even stronger I wouldn't be able to cope, so I decided to get an epidural. Pitocin was stopped. I was given an epidural. Pitocin and continuous monitoring were started and I was turned every 30 minutes. Pitocin was continually bumped up. During the next couple of hours, monitoring showed progression, but the cervical exam did not; although there was some bloody show.
At 6 AM, Dr. Price checked in. Her cervical check showed no progression. I had been at 7-8 cm dilated, 80-90% effaced and +2 station for over 12 hours. She suggested I get a C-section at 7:30 so Dr. Dixon could be there. I called Jesse and we decided it was time for a C-section although I wanted to talk to Dr. Dixon. Over the next hour, I messaged Leslee and my family and talked to Dr. Dixon.
I was prepped for surgery. Jesse and Leslee arrived. Dr. Brickler and Dr. Dixon performed a C-section and Colin was born at 9:48 AM on Thursday, May 31, 2012.
Thanks to the support of my amazing husband, terrific doula, wonderful family Colin arrived a healthy 10 pounds, 11 ounces and was 22 inches long.
My marvelous sister took these fabulous photos during my labor (check her out at www.lovabellephotography.com)!



No comments:
Post a Comment